Overview of IATF16949
IATF 16949:2016 is the international standard for the automotive supply chain. This international standard, coupled with applicable customer-specific requirements, defines the fundamental quality management system requirements for automotive production, service and/or accessory parts organizations. This standard replaces the ISO/TS16949.
The goal of this international standard is the development of a quality management system that:
- Provides for continual improvement,
- Emphasizes defect prevention,
- Includes specific requirements and tools from automotive industry,
- Promotes reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.
The IATF 16949 adopts the ten-clause structure of the ISO Annex SL and is aligned to the ISO9001:2015 standard. Riding on the framework of process approach with risk based thinking, the IATF 16949 was written to include consideration for customer specific requirements. The language used is now more direct, explicit and user-friendly with additional provisions for control of software embedded within automotive parts, changes in documentation requirements, and added clarity as fundamental to address the needs of automotive supply chain.
The IATF 16949 automotive sector-specific requirements were created by the International Automotive Task Force (IATF). The IATF is an "ad hoc" group of automotive manufacturers and their respective trade associations, formed to provide improved quality products to automotive customers worldwide. IATF members include the following vehicle manufacturers: BMW Group, Chrysler Group, Daimler AG, Fiat Group Automobile, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Renault SA, Volkswagen AG and the vehicle manufacturers’ respective trade associations - AIAG (U.S.), ANFIA (Italy), FIEV (France), SMMT (U.K.) and VDA (Germany).
Benefits of Implementing IATF 16949
The IATF 16949 scheme benefits organizations tremendously. Some of the benefits includes:
- System approach to managing process and operation
- Meet the fundamental quality management system required by vehicle manufacturers and OEM automotive customers
- Gain global recognition
- Open doors to worldwide automotive supply chain market
ISO/TS 16949 Training Programmes
- IATF 16949 : 2016 Interpretation and Application