Delivering Sustained Success
Countries Regional
  • Blog Header

Blog

FSSC 22000 Certification Scheme

Posted on September 10, 2012 in Articles

Food Safety System Certification 22000 (FSSC 22000) is the certification scheme for Food Safety Management Systems. Initially, it was based on ISO 22000, the global food safety management system standard and ISO/TS 22002-1 (formerly PAS 220), a standard developed to address prerequisite program requirements for food product and ingredient manufacturers. The scope of FSSC 22000 has been extended to include prerequisite program requirements for food safety in packaging through PAS 223 - Prerequisite programmes and design requirements for food safety in the manufacture and provision of food packaging. Now with the released of PAS 222 - Prerequisite programmes for food safety in the manufacture of food and feed for animals, the scope of FSSC 22000 will be extended further.

The FSSC 22000 certification scheme is supported by the European Food and Drink Association (CIAA) and the American Groceries Manufacturing Association (GMA).

FSSC 22000 is fully recognised by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and Accreditation Bodies around the world.

The inclusion of ISO 22000 requirements in the FSSC 22000 makes it align with other generic management systems such as the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, this enables an organisation to build an integrated management system covering all aspects relevant for an organisation and its clients.

Unlike ISO 22000 which is applicable to all organisations along the food chain; this scheme is currently intended for the audit and certification of the food safety system which ensure the safety of products during manufacturing of:

• Perishable animal products, excluding slaughtering and pre-slaughtering (i.e. meat, poultry, eggs, dairy and fish products);
  • Perishable vegetal products (i.e. fresh fruits and fresh juices, preserved fruits, fresh vegetables, preserved vegetables);
  • Products with long shelf life at ambient temperature (i.e. canned products, biscuits, snacks, oil, drinking water, beverages, pasta, flour, sugar, salt);
  • (Bio)chemical products for food manufacturing (food ingredients i.e. vitamins additives and bio-cultures but excluding technical and technological aids);
  • • Food packaging manufacturing (i.e. direct, indirect contact with the food).

Note: transport and storage on site and as part of the operation are included (e.g. cheese ripening). It is applicable to all organizations in the food chain in these categories, regardless of size and complexity, whether profit-making or not and whether public or private.

By implementing FSSC 22000, the manufacturers are adopting risk management and quality assurance techniques proven across a vast range of other sectors. FSSC 22000 is independent and promotes transparency. It is designed to deliver:

• greater confidence in trade
  • lower health risks
  • improved protection for brands
  • improved supply chain management

The ultimate aim of FSSC 22000 is to improve standards of food safety and restore consumer confidence in the integrity of the food supply.

How to gain Certification?
How to Gain Certification?

Surveillance Audits
 Surveillance Audit

Interested in discussing your requirements? Let’s talk.

Training  /  Online training  /  Capacity building

Contact Us