Delivering Sustained Success
Countries Regional
  • Blog Header

Blog

Communication and Logical Levels of Change in Our Brain

Posted on March 31, 2014 in Articles

One important part of developing communication skills is the art of convincing. If you are good at convincing others, half of your work is done. There is a saying that failure to convince is a failure to communicate effectively.

Convincing someone to believe you is all about convincing an individual or group to either accept a 

new belief or update his or their knowledge or beliefs about an existing idea.

Not all people will accept your ideas from the first attempt but the good news is that there are tips that can increase your chance of convincing other people to believe you.

So, how this can be done?

Logical levels of thoughts developed by Robert Dilts, has shown that change to one’s view takes a hierarchical process within an individual or group in order to trigger change of belief system. 

The following provides information to identify each of the logical levels (Cheal, 2007; Kyriacou, 2009; Dilts & De Lozier, 2000) that impacts human belief system :

Spirituality – Whom do I serve and for what purpose?

The spirituality level connects you with the ‘bigger picture’ – where your find the meaning of your own purpose, ethics, mission or meaning in life.  

It focuses on the questions about existence and purpose.  It also relates to how the individual experiences it on a personal level.

Identity – Who am I and do I reflect that in the way I live?

If values are viewed as procedures for your self, the identity level is your evaluation of your ability to implement such procedures.  You will consolidate the whole systems of values and beliefs that providing a way to prove over and over, how the specific self-belief is true.

Values & Beliefs – Why do I make these changes?

Values are the fundamental procedures for the self that define who we are.  Things become important to us when we believe they can facilitate the accomplishment of our ultimate goal in life.  Values describe what you expect of yourself and how you describe yourself as a person, while your behaviour is what you do.  

Values and beliefs, both are the drivers and have high influence in our capability, behaviour and provide us with the “internal permission” to change.

Capabilities & Skills – How do I make these changes?

This level refers to the skills and abilities that we possess to achieve the changes we want.  The required skills that we have not yet learned must also be considered at this level, in order to make the needed changes possible.  Once we practice these skills repetitively, we will gain competence and mastery with them.

Behaviours – What do I need to change?

This level refers to what you think about, as well as your actions.  At this stage, we have tendency to install, learn and practice solution-oriented behaviours and attitudes.

Environment – Where do I need change?

The environment is where we are surrounded by people, places and things that support our behaviour and habits.   We are often stuck with our problems for we have built these ‘external blockage’ in our mind. We will need to remove it if we want and wish to change some aspect of ourselves or our lives.

This model is useful in addressing the change process in both humans and organisational systems. Change becomes more difficult and requires more skill and time as the logical level increases. 

The next time when your communicate with a person, who is experiencing a challenge, you may explore whether this difficulty is coming from the external environment, or maybe the individual doesn’t have the required sort of behaviour, or  the person may lack the belief or have a conflicting belief that acts as an obstacle to the outcome.  

….Finally, is there interference at the level of identity? 

Interested in discussing your requirements? Let’s talk.

Training  /  Online training  /  Capacity building

Contact Us