IMS Success Story
Integrated Management System (with combination of ISO 9001 QMS, ISO 14001 EMS, OHSAS 18001 or even ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System) has become a backbone for many organisations around the world. Even though it makes good sense, buy-in from the top is crucial for any organization that wish to integrate its management systems.
One of the success story is “Natural Oleochemicals Sdn Bhd”, which is an oleo chemical manufacturer located at Pasir Gudang, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia. Natural Oleochemicals Sdn Bhd is a subsidiary of PGEO Group and one of the largest producers of oleo chemical products in Malaysia.
NatOleo's products include:
- Fractionated fatty acids;
- Distilled/topped fatty acids;
- Hydrogenated fatty acids;
- Blends based on client requirements;
- Glycerine BP/USP;
- Hydrogenated triglycerides
NatOleo has grown over the last 25 years riding on the benefits of a total of 11 management systems including ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001, GMP, HACCP, ISO 22000, FSSC 22000, HALAL, RSPO etc
The latest addition to its success story is ISO 14001, which started 2 years ago. During the project kick off meeting, the appointed steering committee made a wise and bold decision (with special approval from their management) to integrate the existing OHSAS 18001 procedures with the ISO 14001 requirements.
With great efforts contributed by the steering committee under the guidance of their consultant, the team achieved remarkable results and compliments from the management for the integrated system.
The benefits gained from integration include:
- Reducing the administrative costs due to fewer procedures to be maintained (since most of the common procedures are shared between these 2 management systems),
- It facilitated more efficient use of time for implementation by allowing the committee to easily incorporate additional expectations or requirements into existing practices,
- Enhancing the organization’s reputation among their interested parties (e.g. customers, suppliers & local authorities see the organization as a progressive company),
- Most importantly, the whole project’s documentation, meetings, discussions and overall execution time were reduced to almost half. As a result, the project was completed way ahead of the initial targeted schedule.
In summary, Natoleo’s management is totally convinced that the steering committee had made the right choice towards an integrated management system.