Energy - ISO 50001
Management System > Standards / General Management System Standards / Energy - ISO 50001
Overview of ISO 50001
There is no other topics are probably more eye-catching than energy and climate change. Dialogues are going hot about increase of energy process and climate change impacts. We are now in need for effective energy management, consensus-based management systems standard and internationally acceptable – which is ISO 50001:2011 standard.
Energy is a critical resource in most organisational operations, and cost of energy can be a major cost to most organisations. Obviously, energy adds on economic costs to an organisation on top of environmental and societal aspects, by depleting resources and contributing problems such as green house gas (GHG) emissions. Organisations are more environment conscious in view of increasing costs of energy and climate change. ISO 50001 is the new standard for implementing a robust Energy Management System (EnMS). This standard will provide public and private sector with management strategies to increase energy efficiency, reduce costs and improve energy performance.
ISO 50001 adopts the Plan-Do-Check-Act approach for continual improvement. It specifies applicable requirements to energy use and consumption, including measurement, documentation, reporting and design & monitoring for equipment, processes & systems that contribute to energy performance. This standard allows integration with other management systems such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 22000 and OHSAS 18001.
Organisations that adopt ISO 50001 will develop energy policy; establish targets and objectives to meet the energy policy. Similar with other ISO standards, actions plans are established to ensure achievement of targets and objectives. Effectiveness is reviewed to achieve continual improvement of the energy management system.
Benefits of Implementing ISO 50001
ISO 50001 provides uncountable benefits - both tangible and intangible. A typical organisation would enjoy the following:
- Adopted systematic approach to energy consumption within the organisation and along the supply chain of business.
- Maximised the use of energy sources and energy-related assets.
- Reduced of energy cost and energy consumption leading to savings and a more profitable organisation.
- Boost efficiency and enhance competitiveness.
- Improved corporate image among regulators, customer and society by imposing environmental and societal costs.
- Increased awareness and conscious on energy consumptions
ISO 50001 Training Programmes
- Introduction to Energy Management System
- Understanding and Implementing an Energy Management System Based ISO 50001:2011
- ISO 50001 Energy Management System (EnMS) Internal Auditor
- Decoding and Applying Energy Related Legislations
.... more training programmes are available here
Looking for consulting services?
Neville Clarke's consultancy services are designed to maximise benefits, provide cost effective and customer-focused solutions. Contact us to discuss your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)