IATF 16949:2016 update
Posted on 15 August 2016
Breaking News: 2016 version of ISO/TS 16949 will be known as IATF 16949.
The International Automotive Task Force (IATF) has announced that the new revision of ISO/TS16949 will be published in October 2016. The new standard which defines the quality management requirements for automotive industry will be known as IATF 16949:2016. It will adopt the ten-clause structure of the Annex SL and will be aligned to the ISO 9001:2015 standard. Key dates are listed below:
- October 2016 : Publication of IATF 16949:2016
- November 2016 : Revision of Rules for Achieving and maintaining IATF recognition.
Some of the new requirements being considered for inclusion in the new standard are:
- Requirements for safety-related parts and processes
- Enhanced product traceability requirements to support latest regulatory changes
- Requirements for products with embedded software
- Warranty management process including addressing NTF (no trouble found) and use of automotive industry guidance
- Addition of corporate responsibility requirements
- Clarification of sub-tier supplier management and development requirements
One area change which may surprise some would be the need for a quality manual but with flexibility in format and structure. This would be a departure from the requirements imposed by ISO 9001:2015.
Certification to the new version is likely to be available beginning year 2017 and the deadline to complete the transition is likely to co-inside with that for ISO 9001:2015, i.e. end of 2018.